The role of Emergency Management is to provide a prompt and coordinated response to emergencies that overwhelm the ability of the responding department and requires a multi-agency response.
Emergency Management works to serve the Municipality under these guiding principles:
- Protect life, property and the environment.
- Conduct response in a safe, efficient and appropriate manner.
- All stakeholders will be encouraged to participate.
For a 24 hour recorded message emergency hotline, call (780) 799-8000The emergency management hotline is updated with current information during emergency situations or at critical times of the year such as river break-up season. In the event of a breaking situation where the hotline has not yet been updated, please tune into your local radio station.
Contact the Emergency Operations Centre
Telephone: (780) 762-3616
Fax: (780) 762-3619
200 Airport Road
Fort McMurray Alberta
Municipal Emergency Management Plan
Together with the local agencies that make up our Emergency Operation Centre, we plan and prepare to meet potential emergencies. A Municipal Risk Assessment is completed yearly which:
- Identifies potential emergencies or disasters
- Assesses the probability of occurrence
- Determines the community impact to life, property or environment
- Rates the community's ability to respond
Emergency Preparedness in Wood Buffalo
Once all of these factors are taken into account, a planning priority is established.
The Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo has a Municipal Emergency Plan in place that is revised continually and is also formally reviewed annually.
The plan is generic and not situation-specific. This allows for a flexible response regardless of the emergency. Things like fan-out lists, communication plans and evacuation procedures are contained in the plan.
Our plan ensures that each agency performs the same day-to-day activities during an emergency as they would at any other time. This means that the RCMP perform policing as part of their emergency response, the fire department deals with fire and ambulance service, Public Works with roads, transportation, water, etc. Additional resources would be brought in from mutual aid partners like Syncrude, Suncor and utility companies if required. Provincial and federal assistance would also be requested if we did not have the capabilities to respond locally.
The Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo Municipal Emergency Plan format is similar to the Provincial Emergency Plan. This ensures appropriate succession should a situation require outside assistance.
Links to other emergency contacts/information
- Alberta Health Services
- Alberta Municipal Affairs
- Alberta Water Supply Outlook
- ATCO Electric
- ATCO Gas
- Emergency Management Framework
- Emergency Preparedness Week
- Get Prepared
- Home Owner's Fire Smart Manual
- How to reduce the risk of wildfire when using an off-highway vehicle
- How to safely build and put out a campfire
- How to safely use a burning barrel (Fire Smart Manual)
- How to obtain a fire permit
- Public Safety Canada
- Wildfire Prevention