Fort FitzgeraldLocated on the Alberta/ Northwest Territories border, Fort Fitzgerald is the most northern hamlet in the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo. The nearest urban centre is Fort Smith, Northwest Territories, which is 25 kilometres to the north. Fort Fitzgerald can be accessed from the south from the Fort Chipewyan Winter Road and from the northwest on Highway 5.
Fort Fitzgerald was originally named Smith’s Landing until 1915 when it was renamed to honour the late Inspector Francis Joseph Fitzgerald of the North West Mounted Police.
According to the 2010 census, there are eight people currently residing in Fort Fitzgerald. Residents of this remote community must travel to Fort Smith to shop or attend school, as there are no supporting services except electricity. Even for telephone use, residents of Fort Fitzgerald must travel to Fort Smith, which is also their primary source for employment other than hunting and trapping.